Daniel 2 – An Apotelesmatic Chapter
Part 4 – Toes
This ministry identifies with the position of Paul Tanner that the simultaneous destruction of all Daniel 2 image parts by the end-time stone encourages a second view of their prophetic meaning. There are other scholars who apply its toes to a final earthly coalition similar to the ten horns of Daniel 7:7, 24 and Revelation 13:1, 17:12.
This last earthly “kingdom” will be marked by:
- A federation rather than a powerful single sovereign state.
- Its authority having the strength of iron, which emanates from Rome.
- Diverse peoples, regions, and nations, making it a unique group which submits to the leadership of a single authority. That power is identified elsewhere as a “little horn” (Daniel 8:9), “king of the north” (Daniel 12:40), “sea beast” (Revelation 13:1), and “the beast” (Revelation 17:13), under the sponsorship of Satan (Revelation 13:2). This leader will be distinctly a religious power centered in Rome (Revelation 17:9). He becomes the final antichrist (another study).
Of deep interest – that coalition began to form in 1942, shortly thereafter identified as the “New World Order.” Its structure and geography were refined in 1973 by the Club of Rome and is currently maturing under the guise of “The Great Reset” (another study). Its end-time highlights are reviewed here.
Ten is the Number
Nebuchadnezzar’s image is described as having feet made of iron and clay (Daniel 2:34). Later, in the seer’s interpretation, he told the king that he had seen the feet and toes (vs 41). Finally, Daniel specifically said: “In that the toes of the feet were partly of iron and partly of clay, the latter stages of this kingdom will be partly strong and partly fragile” (Daniel 2:42 – NET).
- The sequence of the image’s kingdoms concludes with this iron and clay mixture of the feet. Still part of the iron legs, they are an expression of a Roman entity.
- The last anatomic area are those toes, assumed to be ten in number because the image is “human.”
Daniel 2:41 to 43 explains that the final kingdom would be a “divided kingdom,” just as iron and clay do not mix (41a). Because those toes were specifically addressed, a ten-division coalition is anticipated.
- That “kingdom” or coalition will function as a powerful unit because of the iron.
- The final ten divisions will, however, maintain separate cultures with their own natural identities. They will, however, be united in a common purpose under the antichrist leader.
Scholars are nearly unanimous in their views that Daniel 7 adds more details from the Daniel 2 prophecy. There, ten horns grow out of a Roman beast (7:7,24), corresponding to those ten toes. There, they symbolize ten kings (7:14), nations or regions.
- Fascinating – Daniel was told that “in the days of these kings,” or “in the time of those kings,” ruling in this confederacy (cf. Revelation 13:1, 17:12), they are destroyed and God sets up His kingdom!
- This is an instructive timing statement. The word “kings” is plural, causing many to conclude that it references a group of “ten.”
Many apocalyptic prophecies associated with the antichrist portray a beast with ten horns. Interesting are the predictions given to John in Revelation 17. There, a harlot is sitting on a ten-horned “beast” (kingdom or nation) (vs 3). Ten powers convey authority to this beast (Revelation 17:13) (fulfilled in Revelation 13)!
- Additionally, this harlot (apostate Christianity) is sitting on many “waters” (people of this world – Revelation 17:15) – she has world power. This harlot also sits on the beast’s seven heads, noted to be “mountains” (vs 9), suggesting it is Rome-based (referencing the seven hills of Rome).
- Revelation 17:9 initially states that one needs divine wisdom to understand this prophetic riddle to circumvent deception.
“The angel identifies the seven heads with ‘seven mountains,’ a phrase often used for Rome in the ancient world because it was built on seven hills (… Cicero, Att. 6.5; Pliny, Nat. Hist. 3.66-67; et al.; see Swete 1911: 220 for others). The city began with an amalgamation of groups living on the seven hills (Aventine, Caelian, Capitoline, Equiline, Palatine, Quirinal, Viminal), and during Domitian’s reign a festival (the Septimontium) celebrated it.”
- The woman (an apostate church) and the beast (a nation) are in Rome – all related to the iron and clay period.
- Those ten horns give authority to an end-time church (harlot) and state (beast) just before God’s eternal kingdom is established (Revelation 17:13).
This union points directly to a ten-division coalition associated with the antichrist. In 1870 the Catholic Church lost control of its Papal States along with the city of Rome, restricting it to an ecclesiastical power only. In 1929 the Lateran Pacts established its global authority with the Lateran Treaty, creating the Vatican City State. This was quickly recognized as an international “nation.” Stunning – all subsequent geopolitical negotiations with the Vatican were identified as being with the “Holy See.” That, amazingly, represents the unique bond of the Roman Catholic Church and the Vatican City State – the church and the state of Revelation 17!
Those ten toes relate to the time of the end, just before God’s everlasting kingdom is established! Revelation 17 begins:
- “Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and spoke to me. ‘Come,’ he said, ‘I will show you the condemnation and punishment of the great prostitute who sits on many waters,’” (Revelation 17:1 – NET).
- That prophetic story begins with this apostate church – now identified as the Roman Catholic Church at a time on or after 1929 – when it began functioning again as a church and state!
There is more than a simple coalition between a church and state in prophecy! That bond, this Holy See, interacts as an international legal power with the unique regions in the world.
- “And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast” (Revelation 17:12-13). Here, their kingdoms are anticipated.
- Later, Revelation 13 reveals that those horns have obtained their kingdoms for a 42-month period: “And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy…. And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months” (Revelation 13:1, 5).
- “Power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations” (Revelation 13:7b).
These are prophecies of a world order with ten divisions, at the end of time, which convey administrative authority to the Holy See.
Forces to bring World Unity
Ever since the Council of Trent (1545–1563), the establishment of Jesuit Society of Jesus in 1534, and the Counter Reformation (1545–1648), a moral value was placed on secular power by the Roman Church.
In 1891 Pope Leo XIII published Rerum Novarum, an encyclical that codified Catholic social teaching (“Catholic Social Doctrine”). This changed the church’s perception of how it related to world authorities. At that juncture, that church had no geopolitical government. Sidestepping religious issues, it began addressing social inequalities, capital, and labor. The right to hold private property was to be limited. Capitalism and communism were seen as flawed political systems. That encyclical portrayed what was much later related to fascism. That church concept remains.
Pope John Paul II later reinforced this philosophy with a crusade against capitalism, calling it “the system of injustice and harm that cried to heaven for vengeance.”
In 1940 the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace published a book, New World Order (NWO). Its concepts were adopted by the U.S. State Department. A strategy for world peace emerged:
- Divide the world up into geopolitical, economic regions.
- Establish principles that would govern those areas as a coalition.
In 1941, Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR), in his state of the union speech, presented “Four Freedoms” that would become the foundation for a new world order.
A Pennsylvanian cartographer, Maurice Gomberg, developed a map for the State Department and the Carnegie Institute that projected a ten-region world! It was published on February 25, 1942.
- Mysterious – the nation of Israel, noted on this map, wouldn’t arise for another seven years (1948).
- The development of a North American Union wouldn’t come until 1992; yet it was depicted there!
How did this all happen? It began to fulfill the ten-region prophecy of Daniel 2 through Revelation 17! The bottom of the map outlined the “moral” issues that FDR had presented in his State of the Union speech (which he had, in turn, obtained from meetings with the Roman Catholic Church).
- Irish Historian Thomas Moriarty, while researching for a book on the U.S. wartime global ambitions, found and studied Gomberg’s map. He was stunned:
- “Either the U.S. State Department had someone who could see into the future – OR
- They meticulously planned to redraw the entire map of the world by some mysterious geopolitical sensitivity.
- Supernatural elements seemed present – literally!
The late Pope Benedict XVI came onto the scene. He quickly noted:
“To manage the global economy … there is urgent need of a true world political authority … to seek to establish the common good.” A moral base, founded on moral leadership, is required to protect society.
Professor Martin Fitzgerald of Redfield College, Sydney, Australia, saw the pope as trying to recover the idea that we are social by nature because we are equally children of God. The pope appealed to make mankind more than neighbors but brothers; more than equality but fraternity. But to achieve this, he wryly observed, history has shown that it requires a police state!
Kishore Jayabalan, Director of Action Institute, Rome, said in a newsletter (July/August 2012) that Pope Benedict’s call for a moral order based on “faith and reason” is an idealism impossible to achieve. Such attempts, historically, always required coercion, penalties, and persecution. The central authority that Benedict dreamed of would quickly become tyrannical.
In 1968 a non-profit organization was created called the Club of Rome. Its key publication, Limits to Growth (1972), outlined the key areas that progressive leaders intriguingly follow today (from climate change to sustainable energy)! That same year it published a refinement of the 1942 Gomberg map. The world was still to be divided into ten divisions. (See map: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=New+World+Order+10+Regions&mmreqh=kCR%2bBH67Ob3WX8PC4uITT47G3iv5A%2fXG7LKeUCwgGgw%3d&form=IDINTS&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle)
Again, beginning in the secular world and moving into the ecclesiastical realm, a ten-region coalition is forming. This map, with minor modifications, has been nurtured in geography books and within the United Nations.
“Lincoln Bloomfield wrote in his book A World Effectively Controlled by the United Nations: ‘world government’ will ‘come about through the establishment of supranational institutions, characterized by mandatory universal membership and some ability to employ physical force. Effective control would thus entail a preponderance of political power in the hands of a supranational organization’” The coercive mandates of Revelation 13:15 seem ready to “burst from the womb” of prophecy.
In 1990 Jesuit Malachi Martin wrote: “The competition is about who will establish the first one-world system of government that has ever existed in the society of nations. It is about who will hold and wield the dual power of authority and control over each of us as individuals and over all of us together as a community; ... The competition is all-out because now that it has been started, there is no way it can be called off … our way of life as individuals and as citizens … even the badges of our national identity … will have been powerfully and radically altered forever. No one can be exempted from its effects.”
This echoes what was said years before:
“Romanism as a system is no more in harmony with the gospel of Christ now than at any former period in her history. The Protestant churches are in great darkness, or they would discern the signs of the times. The Roman Church is far-reaching in her plans and modes of operation. She is employing every device to extend her influence and increase her power in preparation for a fierce and determined conflict to regain control of the world, to re-establish persecution, and to undo all that Protestantism has done. Catholicism is gaining ground upon every side.”
The late Georgetown University Professor, Carroll Quigley, wrote, “The individual’s freedom and choice will be controlled within very narrow alternatives.” (Part of that Catholic Social Doctrine.)
In 1974 the United Nations sponsored a World Conference of Religion for Peace in Louvain, Belgium. A summation report entitled New International Economic Order, supported by the General Assembly, outlined another moral plan to redistribute the wealth from the rich to the poor nations. Since Pope Leo XIII’s encyclical, this has been another of the objectives of the Roman social doctrine!
Pope John Paul II was inaugurated in 1978, serving until 2005. He had a keen interest in geopolitics! He quickly began to add weight to the voluminous geopolitical “social dogma” of the Catholic Church through three encyclicals, emphasizing:
- Human work
- Conflict between labor and capital
- Rights of workers
Notice again the “cultural/political tool” that appeals to the working class and “man’s covetousness.” Faith in the cleansing blood of Christ was never mentioned.
In each document John Paul II noted that “solidarity” (labor unions) among the working class was a “Christian virtue,” which will benefit the “social order.” Later he stated: “The Church does not propose economic and political systems and programs, nor does she show preference for one or the other, provided that (1) human dignity is properly respected and promoted, [which she rarely perceives occurs] and (2) provided that she herself is allowed the room … to exercise her ministry in the world.”
That was his veiled geopolitical way of saying: “Our plans are superior to any other. Our leadership must assist [control] all of mankind.”
Honoring Papal Authority
The Apostle John noted: “And the ten horns receive power as kings [leaders of those ten global regions] one hour with the beast.” “These have one mind, and shall give their power and strength unto the beast.” As a consequence, “all the world wondered after the beast” (Revelation 17:12-13; 13:3).
The “beast” is that nation – the Vatican (identified in Revelation 17:9), which a riding “harlot” (apostate church) controls (vss 3-5). The world in a final geopolitical order will soon acquiesce to her “moral” leadership.
These fearful changes predicted for earth’s final generation lie just ahead! They relate to a coalition of leaders who want to unify a centralized world power by a mechanism more recently called the “Great Reset”!
“We are living in the time of the end. The fast-fulfilling signs of the times declare that the coming of Christ is near at hand. The days in which we live are solemn and important. The Spirit of God is gradually but surely being withdrawn from the earth…. The agencies of evil are combining their forces and consolidating. They are strengthening for the last great crisis.”
That confederacy is, again, Biblically represented by the “ten toes” and by those “ten horns!”
- Klaus Schwab, a German economist, started the World Economic Forum in 1971 as a U.N. NGO. It burgeoned into a major power with its publications, forums and annual meetings in Davos, Switzerland. Attendees often number 2500. Forum membership costs range from free for individuals (limited) to $52,000 per year for organizations. Attendees must pay up to $19,000 to attend the meetings.
- When Covid-19 made its debut, reaction to this pandemic was organized and global. The virus was first identified in December of 2019 in Wuhan, China (apparently). The World Health Organization declared that virus an international public health emergency of international concern in January 2020 and a pandemic in March 2020. On December 8, 2020, they announced that there were more than 67.8 million cases confirmed, with more than 1.54 million deaths attributed to COVID-19 (though major concern emerged later that their statistics were vastly inflated).
In the middle of this contagion, Klaus Schwab published a piece called “Now is the time for a ‘great reset.’” He saw Covid-19 as the excuse to launch the controlling events for a world order.
- This “force” achieved amazing success in isolating groups (like churches and schools), the lockdown of people in their homes, the closing of restaurants, and even mandating the wearing of masks!
- Restriction of individual travel was manipulated.
- Devastation to small businesses prompted governmental “gifts” to help them survive (a tool to create obligation and dependency).
Schwab followed with these urgent recommendations:
- Revamp all aspects of societies and their economies – from education to working conditions.
- All countries must participate.
- Every industry, including petroleum and technology, must be transformed.
- “In short, we need a ‘Great Reset’ [from] capitalism.”
- That had been the dream of many, from Karl Marx to Pope Francis. It is lockstep with the United Nations’ Agenda 2030 (an update of its Agenda 21).
The urgency of those recommendations was based on the alleged massive number of deaths from Covid-19 and the devastating economic impact on world communities. The economy must be reworked.
- “We must build entirely new foundations for our economic and social systems.
- “You’ll own nothing” and “you’ll be happy about it.” That is a form of collectivism!
So excited were the elites that Time Magazine (October 23, 2020) devoted a whole issue to the “Great Reset,” stating that it will “usher in world socialism.” It will be a “time” to reimagine society.
Pope Francis published a new encyclical, Fratelli Tutti (“Brothers, All” – October 3, 2020). It put his stamp of approval on the “Great Reset.” He rebuked the concept of “populism” (nationalism) and called for a “better kind of politics”!
Embracing the “Great Reset”
Joe Biden rushed to embrace these globalist ambitions in a phone “conversation” with the U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres (December 2020).
The next day Guterres told a group at Columbia University in New York City:
“The time has come for us to repent and mend our ways through a great climate and economic reset.
“Companies must adjust their business models for a green economy, and that means making carbon-free investments and follow the plans for recovery as laid out by the globalist organization….
“The world should take advantage of the ‘pandemic reset’ to create ‘a more equitable and just world.’
“This is a moment of truth for people and planet alike. COVID and climate have brought us to a threshold. We cannot go back to the old normal of inequality, injustice and heedless dominion over the Earth. Instead, we must step towards a safer, more sustainable and equitable path.”
Then Joe Biden developed an administrative theme: “Build Back Better” (it actually simultaneously blossomed globally). Pope Francis reacted by saying that he found the expression “quite striking.” Then the Pope noted in his weekly bulletin:
“‘We will be able to regenerate society and not return to so-called “normality,” which is an ailing normality, indeed which was ailing before the pandemic: the pandemic highlighted it!,’ he said, adding that the old normality ‘was sick with injustice, inequality and environmental degradation.’
“‘[This] is a moment to dream big, to rethink our priorities – what we value, what we want, what we seek – and to commit to act in our daily life on what we have dreamed of.
“‘God asks us to dare to create something new,’ he declared. ‘We cannot return to the false securities of the political and economic systems we had before the crisis. We need economies that give to all access to the fruits of creation, to the basic needs of life: to land, lodging and labor.’”
Peter Maurer, President of the International Committee of the Red Cross, said in October of 2020 that what is needed now is “Developing a vision of a society which is different, which is inclusive, which brings people together and which builds bridges where reality separates societies. This is at the core of our common view and endeavors. We certainly are very proud to be close to the Holy See and to the Pope in his efforts.”
The idealism that the New World Order and the Great Reset encourage, with the pandemic’s wedge of social control, began a centralized world “authority.” Klaus Schwab said: “The populace must recognize its need of a centralized government. People must sense the power and control that civil authorities have! He noted that there must be:
- Threats that food will become scarce so the government can give food stamps, credit, or cash to control how one shops.
- Financial gifts to individuals to help them cope with “want,” which helps to create dependency on the government. (That, respectively, eliminates competitiveness.)
The Gender Paradigm Threat
No human society has ever tried to rewrite human sexuality. The current global trends are leading the world down new dark paths of statist totalitarianism.
- German author Gabriel Kuby said in her book, The Global Sexual Revolution: The Destruction of Freedom in the Name of Freedom, that the gender dysphoria issue began when “progressive” nations began to redefine marriage.
- Gender mainstreaming then became a priority for health care agencies, the United Nations, The World Health Organization, and social media (Facebook offers 58 new gender options when signing up for an account).
She continued: The word “marriage” has been replaced in many countries as “civil unions.” No society has ever said, “Live out your sexual drive any way you like,” as is happening today.
At the core of this radical change, she noted, is a totally new concept of human anthropology:
“I think this issue of sexuality is the main attack on the dignity of the human being,” one that will allow our societies to “tumble into anarchy and chaos.” This, she added, “will result in a new totalitarian regime by the state.
“A new totalitarianism is developing under the cloak of [sexual] freedom. The destruction of the family uproots every single human being. We become atomized human beings who can be manipulated to do anything.” This is another step toward the geopolitical totalitarianism of The Great Reset.
From a New World Order drive post-World War II, to the idealism of a New Moral Order (driven by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt), to a ten-region division of the world, the elites’ interest in a centralized power to “keep order” has accelerated. The recent geopolitical initiating mechanism came through the controlling forces of the Covid-19 pandemic. Growing evidence suggests that this was preplanned.
The coercive Covid power, based on fear, was initially successful, economically devastating (especially to the middle class) and only temporized the control and manipulation dreamed by the World Economic Forum. The “search” continues for another crisis. Climate change is on one burner. Pope Francis strongly supported this in 2015 with his encyclical Laudato Si.
Then to a massive number of people (November 2021), he said: “Failure to fight climate change will incur God’s judgment.”
Recently, in October of 2022, the pope was featured in a climate change documentary.
The world, divided into ten regions, ten toes, ten horns, is waiting for triggered events that will catapult the Holy See into that central power. In the meantime, the moral strength of society is being fragmented by the sexual revolution and gender dysphoria. The Cultural Marxism emphasized in the 1960’s is degrading humanity.
- John noted: “The beast I saw resembled a leopard, but had feet like those of a bear and a mouth like that of a lion. The dragon gave the beast his power and his throne and great authority. People worshiped the dragon [Satan] because he had given authority to the beast [Roman antichrist], and they also worshiped the beast and asked, ‘Who is like the beast? Who can wage war against it?’ It was given power to wage war against God’s holy people and to conquer them. And it was given authority over every tribe, people, language and nation” (Revelation 13:2, 4, 7b – NIV). The prophetic warning of geopolitical coercion.
“The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but who for one hour will receive authority as kings along with the beast. They have one purpose and will give their power and authority to the beast” (Revelation 17:12-13).
The “coalition of ten” will soon give distinct administrative power to the Holy See. When that occurs, the last 42 months of earth’s history will be in sight (Revelation 13:1, 5).
Franklin S. Fowler, Jr., M.D.
Prophecy Research Initiative – non-profit 501(c)3 © 2023
EndTime Issues…, Number 266, January 5, 2023
 Tanner, J. Paul; Daniel, Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (Lexham Academic), pp. 206-207.
 Miller, Stephen R.; The New American Commentary, Daniel, vol. 18 (Broadman & Holman Publishers, 1994), pp. 97-99.
 Miller, op. cit., p. 98.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vatican_during _the_Savoyard_era_(1870%E2%80%931929) ; https://www.bing.com/search?q=lateran+treat7+1929
 Pope John Paul II, Laborem Exercens, pp. 20, 35-36; 1981.
 Pope Benedict XVI, Caretas en Veritate, 2009.
 Lincoln Bloomfield, A World Effectively Controlled by the United Nations (Council of Foreign Relations, under a contract (No. SCC 2827) with the U.S. State Department, 1962), as quoted in Stuart, P. D.; Codeword Barbêlôn, Book One (Lux-Verbi Books, London – 2009), p. 156, 157-158, 166.
 https://clc-library-org-docs.angelfire.com/keys.html’ (1990 – Malachi Martin, Keys of this Blood).
 The Great Controversy, 1888, p. 565 (emphasis added).
 Sollicitudo Rei Socialis, p. 41 (emphasis added).
 Testimonies, vol. 9, p. 11 (emphasis added).
 Ibid. (emphasis added).
 Against the Great Reset; edited by Michael Walsh; “China, Covid-19, Realpolitik, and the Great Reset” by Douglas Murray (Bombardier Books, An Imprint of Post Hill Press; 2022).